Celery root (celeriac root) is not the most beautiful vegetable in the produce aisle but oh so good. It is delicious in soups or puree as a side dish or just shred and add to salad or slaw.
Here is my Celery Root soup
1 kilo celery root
500 gram potatoes
1 large yellow onion
1 L water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
100 mL whole milk
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
Optional: Whole nutmeg and fresh parsley or marjoram for serving
- Peel and chop in large chunks celery root, potatoes and onion.
- Bring to boil the water and dissolve the bouillon cubes.
- Add the vegetables and simmer under lid for 15-20 minutes until root vegetables are soft and fully cooked.
- Remove about half of the liquid bouillon and set to side.
- With a handheld immersion mixer puree the vegetables.
- Add in the milk and whisk together.
- Add back the reserved bouillon to whisk together the soup.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into serving cups.
- Freshly grate some nutmeg on top and garnish with some parsley or marjoram.
- Serve with some fresh baked bread.
Remember Life is too short to not eat and drink well!