Hearty Meat stew with mushrooms and blue cheese
600 grams of beef suitable for stew (e.g. round, shoulder)
1 yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1+1 Tbsp vegetable oil or liquid/soft margarine
300 mL of water
300 mL red wine
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
300 grams mushrooms (champignon, chanterelle or porcini)
50 g blue cheese e.g. Danablu
2 dl cooking cream
1-2 Tbsp cornstarch
Salt and pepper
- Peel onions and root vegetables and cut them into large pieces.
- Trim fat from meat and cut in cubes about 20×20 millimeter
- Heat up oil or liquid margarine in a frying pan and brown the meat quickly.
- Transfer meat to a Dutch oven and add chunks of onions, parsnips and carrots.
- Add water, wine, vinegar, thyme, pressed garlic and bouillon.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer stew on low heat under lid for 90 minutes until meat is tender.
- Clean mushrooms and dived in large pieces.
- Heat up oil or liquid margarine in a frying pan and fry mushrooms for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the stew. Crumble blue cheese over and add cream to the stew.
- Stir and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Thicken stew with cornstarch and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve stew with steamed rice.
Tip: In Sweden we often serve a meat stew with a jelly from currants or rowan berry. You can also serve with cranberry sauce as the sweetness is well paired with the hearty savory flavors of the stew!
Note: Always cook stews with acids such as wine in an enameled Dutch oven.