Beer braised beef short ribs
1 kilo of beef short ribs
1+1 Tbsp soft or liquid margarine
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 yellow onion
2 celery stalks
1 bottle (330 ml/12 fl oz) dark lager or Ale
300 mL of water
2 beef bouillon cubes
6 firm potatoes
Salt and Pepper
Some springs of fresh thyme for garnish
- Lightly season the short ribs on all sides with salt and black pepper
- Finely chop onion and thinly slice celery stalks
- In a Dutch oven heat up margarine on medium heat
- Add half of the short ribs and sear them on all sides, transfer ribs to a clean large plate.
- Add the other half and brown them too. Transfer to the plate and cover with another plate to keep them warm.
- Add the second tablespoon of margarine to pot and add onions.
- Over low-medium heat brown the onions. To really bring out the onions’ lovely sweet flavor let them caramelize on low-medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- When onions are lightly browned, add dry thyme and celery slices. Stir and increase heat to medium-high.
- Add ribs to pot, pour in beer and water and add beef bouillon cubes.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer on low heat. Under lid, let the pot simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Peel potatoes, carrots and parsnips and slice them in about 5mm thick slices.
- When ribs have simmered for 1.5 hours add in potatoes, carrots and parsnips and let the pot simmer for another 30 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Take pot of heat and leave it covered to rest for 10 minutes
- Garnish with fresh thyme springs and serve