Chicken Caesar Salad
Serves 2 for dinner or 4-6 as a starter
One head of Romaine Lettuce
1/2 one-day old baguette
2 tsp olive oil for croutons
2 cooked chicken breast, chopped
Optional 4 slices of crispy cooked bacon in pieces
100 mL of Olive oil for dressing
100 mL fresh finely grated Parmesan
4 anchovy fillets (salted Italian style) or 2 tsp anchovy paste
- Set oven to 225 C (400 F)
- Slice the baguette into 1 cm thick slices
- Brush the slices on both sides with olive oil
- Place on a cookie sheet and toast in oven for 10 min until nicely brown on both sides.
- When done, lay the croutons on a paper towel. The paper towel will soak up any excess oil.
- I got the tip to make croutons in the oven by a chef I used to work with. I prefer this way but they can of course also be done in a skillet on top of stove.
- Grate Parmesan on the fine side of the grater until you have 100 mL grated Parmesan, loosely packed. Do not push the cheese down in the measuring cup to make room for more as this will be too much cheese.
- Using a handmixer mix olive oil, anchovy fillets and half of the grated Parmesan until a thin smooth dressing.
- Add remaining Parmesan and keep on mixing with handmixer until a thicker smooth dressing is formed.
- If you want a thinner dressing add more olive oil in small portions until desired thickness is met.
Assembly the Caesar Salad
- Rip the lettuce into pieces and place in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce and dress the lettuce by carefully mixing the lettuce around in the bowl with salad serving tools or use your clean hands.
- Place the dressed lettuce on two plates or on a serving plate/bowl.
- Sprinkle chopped chicken (and bacon) over the lettuce.
- Decorate with the croutons.
- Go over with the pepper mill and if desired add some extra grated Parmesan before serving.