Salmon on salt bed with chive sauce
600 grams side of salmon, bone free but with skin
1 kg coarse salt
Salt & Pepper
600-800 grams of potatoes, suitable for mash
About 100 mL of milk
1 Tbsp of mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper
200 ml of water and 1 cube of fish bouillon or you can use 200 mL of fish stock
200 ml of cooking cream or crème fraiche
1 Tbsp of sauce thickener such as Maizena
1 bunch chives
- Peel potatoes and cut in chunks
- Add potatoes to a large sauce pan and cover with water and a teaspoon of salt
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes until soft
- Drain potatoes
- Use a masher to mash the potatoes. While mixing add the milk slowly until you have a firm mash. It might require more or less milk depending on potatoes and how firm you like your mash
- Add mayonnaise, stir and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C (400 F)
- Cover a baking pan with coarse salt
- Place salmon on top.
- Note: It is important that your side of salmon still has its skin
- Season with salt and pepper on top
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, until salmon is flaky.
- Bring water to a boil and add fish bouillon cube or use fish stock
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Add cooking cream and bring back to a boil
- Reduce heat and add the sauce thickener, whisk the sauce until sauce is thicken
- Note: Sauce thickeners vary so read on your package how much for the amount of liquid.
- Add pepper to taste
- Cut chives finely
- Just before serving add chives and stir
- Serve salmon with chive sauce and mashed potatoes.
- Add steamed sugar snaps or asparagus.
Enjoy your meal!