Grilled Bacon wrapped Monkfish
4 portion pieces (~125 gram each) of monkfish
1 tsp fresh rosemary
Finely ground pepper
8 slices of bacon
2 tsp vegetable oil
- Place fish pieces on a cutting board.
- Season fish with ground pepper on both sides
- Wash lemon well and grate the zest of the lemon over the fish
- Pull the rosemary leaves from the stems and chop finely. Sprinkle rosemary over the fish
- Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each fish and secure the bacon with a toothpick
- Place fish in a dish and pour over oil
- Heat up the grill to about 250 degree C (400F)
- Add the fish and fry the fish on all side to sear the bacon.
- Turn the fish around and continue to grill until done .
- Finish the fish for about 10 minutes, turning once or twice to avoid burning the fish. The fish should be white and flaky when it is done.
Serve with boiled new potatoes with bacon and chives
600 gram new potatoes
4 slices of bacon
small bunch chives
pinch of salt
- Brush new potatoes, if large divide them in halves
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water, add small pinch of salt
- Bring to a boil and lower heat until simmer
- Simmer potatoes under lid until soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Cut bacon in smaller pieces and fry bacon crispy in microwave or in hot skillet
- Chop chives finely
- When potatoes are done, strain water, and place potatoes in serving bowl.
- Sprinkle bacon and chopped chives on top of potatoes and serve
Tip: I always make my bacon in the microwave as then I don’t get the smell in my whole home. Place bacon between two sheets of paper towel on a plate. The paper towels absorb the fat and make the bacon really crispy.
This dish can also be done inside in a hot skillet. Sear the bacon to the fish and cook until done on medium heat. If serving many people you can also quickly sear the fish in the skillet, place the fish in an ovenproof-dish and finish it in the oven at 200 degrees C for about 15 minutes depending on thickness of the fish.