Salmon Cakes with Parmesan and Cauliflower Purée
500 gram bone and skin free salmon
2 Tbsp plain breadcrumbs
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch finely ground black pepper
4-5 green onions
A small bunch of fresh flat leave (Italian) parsley
1 small egg
2 Tbsp soft or liquid margarine
1 small head of cauliflower
4 white potatoes for mash
200 mL of 2% milk
100 mL cooking cream 15%
Salt & pepper
Start with Cauliflower Purée:
- Peel and boil the potatoes in water until soft, about 20 min
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces, remove the tough stem
- Place cauliflower in a saucepan, pour in the milk and cream, ensure the liquid almost cover cauliflower.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and simmer until cauliflower is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Mix with a hand blender cauliflower smooth with the liquid and season with salt.
- Press the potatoes with a potato presser, and mix with the pureed cauliflower, season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep the puree warm if fish is not done yet.
- Roughly chop salmon, green onions and garlic
- Finely grate Parmesan until you have about 50 ml
- Wash skin of lemon carefully. Finely grate off the zest from the lemon. Careful to not get any of the white as it will give a bitter taste.
- Remove the parsley leaves for the stems, discard the stems and roughly chop until you have 50 ml loosely packed parsley.
- Add salmon in a food processor together with parsley, garlic, green onions, parmesan, pepper, mustard, lemon zest and breadcrumbs.
- Blend quickly on pulse until finely chopped but not a paste*
- With a spatula mix in a cracked egg into the mixture
- Wet your hands in cold water and use your hands to form 4 large or 8 small patties
- Place the patties on a wet cutting board.
- By wetting your hands and rinsing the cutting board in cold water the raw patties will not that easy stick to hands and cutting board.
- Heat up margarine in a frying pan and adjust to medium heat.
- Fry patties for 1 minute, turn over, fry for another 2 minutes and turn again to finish them for 1-2 minutes. Time depend on thickness of patties.
- Tip: Fry 4 patties at a time, add to a plate cover with another plate to keep heat while you fry the other 4 patties.
Serve salmon cakes with cauliflower puree and steamed sugar peas.
Enjoy your meal!
*It is important that you don’t blend the salmon too long in the food processor as that can make the fish tough. Therefore I always roughly chop the ingredient before adding them to the food processor.