I thought melon season was over but here I am and there are plenty of cantaloupe and sun kissed melons perfectly ripe in the store. Last summer I started to make pickled melon balls and add them to salads. They are sweet and tangy and will add something different.
For pickled melon balls:
1/2 cantaloupe, sun kissed, galia or honeydew melon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons boiling water
1 pinch of ground white pepper
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a small bowl, add sugar and salt. Pour over the boiling water. The water is to aid in dissolving sugar and salt therefore about 2 teaspoons are usually enough. Let it cool.
- Add vinegar and white pepper.
- Halve the melon, discard the seeds and scoop out balls with a melon baller.
- Place melon balls in a larger bowl and pour over the liquid. Toss and let it stand in fridge for 2-3hrs. Toss a couple of times during brining time.
- Add melon to mixed salad with burrata or buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes.
Use melons that are ripe but not too soft, as they will soften slightly during the process. If you have left-over melon after using the melon baller, then it is perfect for my Chilled Melon Soup.
Another tip is just mixing the pickled melon balls with some arugula (rocket) salad and it will make a perfect side salad for some grilled meat or chicken.
Remember Life is too short to not eat and drink well!