Here is another refreshing melon soup. Summer is over but still lots of melons for good deals. And I can’t resist buying them! I talked to my friend Victoria the other day and said to her: “I don’t know how many people I think I’m feeding as I’m buying 10-15 kilos of melons in one go!”
As they are at their peak I have to eat them quickly. There is just so much I can eat in salads and just plain so soup is a good way to use up at least some of it!
2 large or 4 medium size tomatoes (about 1 kilo)
500 gram watermelon without the skin
1 jalapeno pepper (omit if you don’t like heat)
1 small red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 English cucumber
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Mint leaves and feta cheese for serving
- First peel the tomatoes by boiling up about 1-2 liter of water. With a small pairing knife cut a cross at the bottom of each tomato; only in the skin not flesh.
- Place tomatoes in a large pot and pour the boiling water on top so tomatoes are covered. Leave tomatoes in the hot water for 1 minute so the skin starts to peel off from the flesh.
- Take up the tomatoes, and peel the skin off. It should go very easy but warning they are hot to handle. Discard the skins.
- Chop tomatoes in chunks and discard the core.
- Place tomatoes chunks in a blender.
- Coarsely chop cucumber, watermelon and onion and add to blender too.
- Core and discard seeds of jalapeno and red pepper, and chop into large pieces and then add to blender together with the vinegar.
- Mix everything in the blender to a smooth soup. Add salt and pepper to taste and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Pour soup in serving bowls and top with crumbled feta cheese and some mint leaves.
- Serve with fresh baked bread
Yes this is a no-heat required recipe, except the boiling water to get skin off tomatoes. For food safety ensure you keep it at right temperature.
As I use my blender there will be some smaller bits and pieces in the soup, therefore I think the soup is pretty to serve in glass bowls or cups. This soup makes an excellent appetizer as well.
Remember Life is too short to not eat and drink well!