Chilled melon soup is a refreshing soup that is perfect as a starter. It is basically an alternative to the traditional melon and prosciutto appetizer. Same sweet/salty combination with a little heat and fresh mint to top it off!
The soup tastes best if chilled before serving, and it is great that it can be done early and then kept in fridge until serving. You can even make it the day before serving.
- One small cantaloupe, galia or honeydew melon, peel and discard seeds
- Chop melon in larger pieces and add to a mixer/blender
- Peel one English cucumber, and cut in into large pieces as well and place in mixer too
- Add the juice from one lime, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of dried red hot pepper flakes
- Mix until smooth and store in fridge for 1 hour or until time to serve.
- Pour into bowls, cups or small glasses
- Thinly slice a small bunch of mint leaves and garnish soup
- Thread prosciutto on small appetizer skewers and place on the side of soup
- Serve and enjoy!
If the soup is too thick you may need to add a little water. This recipe serves about 4 small bowls or 8 glasses as smaller appetizers.
Remember Life is too short to not eat and drink well!