About a year ago a friend and fellow dietitian had a challenge to drink a green drink a day and that got me hooked into drinking green drinks. I find it quite refreshing and a good way to ensure I am getting more fruit and veggies into my diet.
There are tons of recipes for green drinks on internet, in books and magazines but here is my go-to ingredients and recipe. I most often have all of these ingredients at home so therefore easy for me to make
For one person:
- 1 small apple that I peel and core and then roughly chop
- Two handfuls of baby spinach
- A piece of fresh ginger (about 1-2 cm in size) that I peel and roughly chop
- Juice from one lime squeezed
- And then I add about 100 mL of orange juice and enough water to make it drinkable (about 50 mL water)
- Mix in mixer or I use my hand held immersion mixer which makes it smoother than using my mixer
The amount of orange juice will vary. I add enough juice and water to make mixture drinkable and the orange juice adds a little sweetness to the drink, which I otherwise can find taste like grass!
Do I drink one every day? No, there are days I don’t have the time or I’m missing key ingredients. I though try to drink one most days during wintertime and when I go to the gym a lot as this drink has plenty of vitamins, minerals and bioactives.
Remember Life is too short to not eat and drink well!